Monday, October 31, 2011

Stacks?

As I read more about handguns, I have to stop every now and then and look up new terms or ask my husband what I'm sure he feels are silly questions.  I figured I'd start using these moments to write quick little terminology lessons for everyone else.

Lesson 1: Single stack vs. double stack.


I found this handy diagram on the Code 3 Tactical Supply site.
I figured out rather quickly this had to do with the magazines and how the bullets were loaded into them.  Single stack is exactly what it sounds like, the bullets are in a single file line, one neatly on top of the other.  Double stack means that the bullets zig-zag in the magazine.  This allows for a greater amount of bullets in the same vertical space, but also results in a  wider magazine.

If you are a girl with super small hands, you will likely find a single stack gun more comfortable.  Though you have to trade capacity for small grip size.  If you aren't comfortable with the larger grip, and it throws off you aim, the extra rounds in a double stack aren't going to be much use.




No comments:

Post a Comment