Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Whole New World!

For me, the greatest apprehension of this whole adventure so far has nothing to do with the shooting.  It was taking that first step into the gun store.

Crazy right?  Not for me.  I like to know where I'm going and what to expect before I get there.  I'm the type that practices conversations.  Eh, it's odd, but it's me.

But the gun store, I had no idea what to expect.  How do I act?  Are the sales people pushy like in some clothing places or non-existant like in grocery and big-box stores?  Can I touch the guns?  Oh the worry over doing something wrong!

For those of you like me a bit leery of your first (or second or third) trip to a gun store, I present my experiences. 



*Caveat* I've only been to Bud's at this point, I have no experience with other stores except the hunting departments at Walmart, Dicks, and Sportsman's Warehouse.*

1) It's low key.  No one is going to attack you as you come it=n ad ask if you'd like try try the latest greatest thing.  You can wander around, get your bearings, and look all you want without talking to anyone at all.  When you do want to speak to an employee, just walk up to a counter and say hi.  They are super nice and easy going.

2) There are other girls!  At Bud's several of the sales staff are female.  I don't think I've been the only girl shopper in the store yet. Women are the fastest growing group of gun owners in the country.

3) You can touch the guns.  Just keep your finger of the trigger and don't point them at people.  If you aren't familiar with the 4 big rules of gun safety, review them and use them every time you are near firearms.If the people in your local gun store aren't using them or you feel unsafe, find a new store!

4) The sales people love guns and want you to love them too!  As I said above, women are the fastest growing subset of gun owners.  The people at these stores know that and are passionate about their guns.  They have favorites and want to help you find your favorite too!  They are not crazy, guns just happen to be their 'thing.'  They want you to ask questions so that you get exactly what you want and are comfortable with it.


I'm sure that there are gun stores out there that aren't girl friendly.  If you find one, the best thing you can do is let all your shooter friends know not to shop there.  Find a new store, even if you have to drive a bit further.  Being comfortable in a store is important.  you won't find the right gun if you aren't comfortable and/or the sales people don't respect you as a woman shooter.  You don't buy clothes or groceries in places with sketchy sales people or poorly maintained buildings right?  Guns should be no different!

No comments:

Post a Comment