Friday, January 6, 2012

My first pet peeve...

Ok, so I have a lot of pet peeves, just ask my husband.  But this is neither the time or place to go into my mania about shower curtains.  I have however, found my first firearms related peeve. 



I'm not really sure that's something to celebrate, but who cares.  Any excuse for a good party right?  Lets break out the noisemakers and paper hats.  Whith this celebration comes yet another terminology lesson.





These are clips:

 

This is not:





A clip is an ammunition retaining device.  It is used to hold rounds for insertion into a magazine or cylinder.  A magazine loads the round into the chamber of the firearm.  Your pistol does not use a clip.  It uses a magazine. 

Minute man review has also written about this terminology difference.  And does a much better job than I at explaining the difference.

In all honesty, it's not a big thing (what pet peeve ever is?), but I think th scientist in me gets twitchy with imprecision terminology.  You wouldn't want to confuse the many types of pipettes or get the wrong reagent when mixing a solution right? 

Although, now that I tihnk about it, missusing vocabulary bothers me in all aspects of life.  Perhaps that's why this video is one of my favorites.  No, not firearm related, but humorous none the less.



*pics from wiki commons, no clips in my house....


7 comments:

  1. Ah. A pet peeve of mine. I usually place a "clip jar" in the front of my pistol class students and if anyone calls a magazine a clip they owe me a quarter.

    If we are to be the stewards for legal, responsible gun ownership the least we can do is to use the correct terminology as you point out.

    I work for a chemical manufacturer but not in the "Muppet Labs" area as we call it. I concur with your assessment however. The wrong reagent during a synthesis reaction means I have a big problem on my hands. I am on the hazmat team. I would prefer not to deal with any of that.

    As to the Queen's English? It took me a while to look at the Jag's message center when it told me the bonnet or boot was open. Don't get me started on birds or other terms!

    I am so glad you have started this journey. There is much here on the Interwebz to be found. Good as well as bad. I would happily recommend several blogs to you. You can find my email address on my blog. If you like I can send links to people I consider trusted friends (two female) that are more versed than I on the art and science of running a gun.

    Oh, and welcome! Glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been preaching the difference between 'clips' and 'magazines' for years...good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, funny.

    I am completely with you on the clip/ magazine issue. Not so much because I am bothered by the incorrect use of languag(as a linguist I care more about how the brain processes language and the people using the language then how it is being used.), but because the anti-gun people use the ignorance of the public to scare the crap out of them.

    Great blog. I loom forward to reading more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, don't kick me off your blog. I meant look not loom. Sometimes my iPad won't let me go back and edit. I don't know why, but I swear I know the difference between loom and look:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do a lot of looming and am not afraid to admit it. :)

    I value precise language. It keeps my life relatively coherent.

    I have been known to use terms like "doohickey" though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in his little frustration.

    Keads, I have a number of British friends and love comparing the terminology of items. Boots, ques, and of course pants!

    Agirl, I won't kick you off. Can I even do that? I'm still learning the blogger tricks too.

    Tango, are you the scary kind of loom-er or the weaving kind? I've been known to break out a loom and weave on occasion for fun and relaxation. But I am much to short for the scary kind of looming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've added you to the Gun Blog Black List. Welcome! Thank you for the informative posts.

    ReplyDelete