Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where I've Been

So, before we get into the current status, I thought I'd give you a bit of background on my background with guns.  As I mentioned before, my husband got me started into handguns, but I wasn't a complete firearms newbie.

I shot BB and pellet guns growing up, with family and at summer camps.  Fun and all, but no love affair.  When I was in high-school my local 4-H started a shotgun team/group.  I got involved in that and had a blast!  On occasion I even outshot the guys!  I confused the heck out of the leader, as I am left eye dominant, so I did everything backwards, but I think it actually makes shooting clays easier...but that's me.

Unfortunately, I only got about 2 years of that before heading out of state to college.  No shooting during those years, of really at all again until I met my husband. He insisted on my having at least enough experience/knowledge of his Beretta 92FS (9mm) that I would be more likely to shoot a bad guy than myself.   So, on one of our trips down to Geargia, we headed out to the farm and shot at a stump.

Here I have to admit being a bit leery, perhaps even a touch afraid of a hand gun.  Not having any previous experience with them I didn't know what to expect.  I don't handle unexpected well.  And no amount of reading and videos prepare you for the reality of shooting a handgun.

I hated it.  It didn't fit my hand, it jumped, it was loud, etc.  I shot two? bullets and called it done.  Earlier this year we were on the farm again shooting clays and having lots of fun.  He had the Beretta out again and I shot it again, still didn't like it, but I could mostly hit what I was aiming at.  No love affair, but I'm competent and not going to hurt myself.

Fast forward to last week.  Husband got a Glock 21(.45) in trade for some cabinent making.  True to his "everyone must be able to shoot every gun in the house" theme, I had to try it out.  So, we looked up the local indoor range and off we went.  Lo and behold, I liked it!  It was fun!  Not scary!  I killed that paper man dead!  It's a big gun and big caliber, but it was comfortable and easy to shoot. 

So, now I'm on the hunt for something to consider as my own handgun and all the gear that goes with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment