Thursday, December 1, 2011

Grip Frustration

I love our Glock 21, it's my go-to gun at the range right now until I get my very own.  I only have one frustration with it, and that is my tiny hands don't fit.

I try very hard to have a correct grip, filling the gap, thumbs forward, pressing into my left hand, all that.  But I can't do it all at once!

If I fill the gap on the grip with my left hand then I can't reach very far around the front with my fingers, making the push-pull action difficult. This makes my aim a bit more unsteady and almost forces my to be a bit weaker through my elbow and wrist to avoid pushing 'through' my left hand.

 If I wrap my left hand fingers around the front, then I don't fully "fill the gap." (More than shows in the pic) But this make the recoil rather difficult to manage since the backwards stability is gone.




So, my question for those of you out there more experienced that I is threefold:
Which is better?  What do I give up?  How do you deal with a grip larger than your hands?

3 comments:

  1. I'm 4'11", and have teeny-tiny hands, so I know what you mean. I can shoot most of my husband's guns, but many not comfortably. Honestly, I've found that most semi-autos with double-stacked magazines...don't work for me. The best I've found is the CZ-82. It's the best fit for my hands, followed by their 75 (their 9mm version). The Springfield XD came close, but I'm just not a fan of striker-fired pistols--much prefer an external hammer.

    Handguns with single-stack magazines, however, work fine. Just make sure you can find spares for what you consider a reasonable price. The Walther PPK (James Bond gun) or its Bersa clone is a pretty good fit for small hands, and the magazines for that are fairly common.

    If somebody starts nattering about caliber and stopping power, just remember: a .380 round placed correctly will stop a goblin better than a 9mm, .40, or .45 that missed. And exit points caused by modern hollow point ammo really make up for smaller entry points.

    I hope that helps. I know I really hated not being able to find a comfortable carry piece for the first year or so after I got into shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't fight it, particularly if you intend to use a handgun for SD purposes. There's little time to get the grip right if the need should arise, even if it does fit you properly.

    The single stack Glock 36 may be what you're looking for.

    A 1911 with slim stocks/bushings might fit you well too.

    If you can get to a range and rent some guns to try out, that's the best way to proceed. Even if they feel right in the store, shooting is the only way to really know if the gun is going to work for you.

    Lots of guns come with interchangeable backstraps now, like the S&W M&P, which are definitely worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tango, the Glock 36 is next on my list of range rentals. I'll be sure to post up on how I like it. I'm so lucky to have a husband who's willing to let me play until I find the right one for me.

    ReplyDelete