Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Importance of Oral History

Jennifer mentioned in her blog today how unfortunate it was that her grandchildren would never meet a WWII vet and hear their stories.  It made me wonder if the Nunn Center had any Pearl Harbor stories.  I went searching and found one, recorded in 1987

Sailors in a motor launch rescue a survivor from the water alongside the
sunken West Virginia (BB-48) during or shortly after the Japanese air raid on
Pearl Harbor. Tennessee (BB-43) is inboard of the sunken battleship.


Places like the Nunn Center who are making an effort to record oral history in first person accounts are excellent.  While our future generations may not get to meet these heroes, at least they can hear their stories in their words and get the emotions and feelings.

I know I've mentioned the Nunn Center before, but I really do think that projects like this are very cool and commendable.   

No comments:

Post a Comment