Friday, December 30, 2011

Google says it's not me!

Went to the range today with husband.  I was feeling kind and decided to re-try the PX4 storm compact.  Suffice to say our relationship did not improve.  However, I did get lots of failure to feed and/or extract practice.  Woo hoo!  Really, shooting is less that fun when you go through 50 rounds having to rack the slide by hand for each one...

Upon finishing, we turned in the gun and the counter guy asked how it was.  I explained that we just didn't get along at all.  He seemed to think that I was limp wristing or something of that nature.  I explained that this is the only gun (other than a Kel-Tec PF9 aka stupid tiny gun) I've had any problems with.  I was perfectly willing to accept that there is something about me and the pistol that just didn't mesh, I was even going so far as to wonder is my cross dominance and the spiffy rotating barrel mechanism just made the perfect failure storm.  No matter how much I love the feel of it, and even though I'm super accurate with it, one round at a time just doesn't cut it! 

So, I get home and do a quick search.  The FTE problem is mentioned on many boards and several review articles.  Mostly with wither women or lighter ammo.  Turns out enough people have had similar problems that Beretta looked into it and now offers replacement guide rods and recoil springs for those that are too stiff and result in problems. 

Photo from handgunmags.com as I forgot to take the camera to the range.




Ha! It's not just me!  Well, it's probably just that I'm a girl or something since the husband had no problems even when intentionally holding very loosely.  I hate admitting that I'm weak.  It happens more than I'd like in a job the requires manhandling cattle, but at least now I know that there is a problem that is more than just me.  I can't tell you how happy that makes me.  It was really bothering me that I couldn't fix the problem, no matter how I held the gun, focused on and stiffened my wrist, aligned my arm, etc.





3 comments:

  1. I would love to hear what the Cornered Cat has to say about this. I wonder if it really is a strength issue. So many times women are told that they are weak, and that may be true, but often it can be corrected by technique. Not just a firmer grip. Interesting.

    I have never shot the PX4 storm compact, but now I want to. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technique does play a huge role. Strength is a factor without a doubt but proper alignment of arms/shoulders/torsos coupled with a moderately aggressive stance, i.e., hips ahead of feet, shoulders ahead of hips, nose ahead of shoulders, will go a long ways. (Keep the knees flexed a little as well.)

    Semi-autos need something to work against. Hands working against arms working against shoulders aids function.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more than willing to accept that it's my technique, etc that's causing the problem. I just have trouble understanding how I only have problems with this one pistol out of the dozen or so I've tried. I have to admit that it did make me feel good to know that I'm not alone with the PX4c problems, even if it does some down to technique.

    ReplyDelete