Saturday, November 5, 2011

Manhandling 101

In reading about handguns, specifically semi-automatics as that's what I'm interested in, I've read several times that women are often timid in racking the slide or otherwise manhandling the gun.

I've not run into this problem myself, but then, I deal with cattle for a living and grew up riding horses.  I learned (wo)manhandling young.  When a 1000+ pound animal steps on your foot you shove -- hard!

Guns are made to take a beating, but are designed for the male physique.  Female musclo-skeletal design means that the body position and motions that work for a guy may be tough for you and I to use easily.  If you are anything like me, being told you can't do something because you're a girl is not even close to okay.  If some of the more physical aspects of shooting are difficult for you, make sure you gun is empty, find a safe place, and practice those techniques. Get comfortable with them before you head to the range.

Kathy over at Cornered Cat has taught a lot of women to shoot and has addressed this issue very well.  Check if out here.  She has a bunch of great articles on technique and safety for beginners, but they are a good refresher for experienced shooters as well.  Take some time and wander her site.  I have!


No comments:

Post a Comment