Friday, November 4, 2011

What to wear?

Isn't that the question every morning?  And even more so on your first outing to the range.

I think this is another area where guys don't have the same set of worries we women do.  I mean, what guy has gotten all his gear together, grabbed the range bag, and realized while walking out the door that perhaps the V-neck sweater was the wrong choice of top?

So, what do I wear?

Hanging at the range

First things first,you MUST have eye and ear protection.  Most ranges will have gear available if you don't have your own, but double check by calling before you go.  If you are like me and wear glasses, the range will probably let you go without extra safety glasses.  However, in the long run, I'd recommend over-glasses safety glasses, if something gets scratched, I'd rather replace $10 glasses then my prescription ones.

On top: I go with a relatively tight fitting shirt with a neckline that covers my collar bones.  It doesn't have to be a turtleneck, but something to prevent brass from ending up in the cleavage (ouch!).  Long or short sleeves are irrelevant to me.  I end up pushing the sleeves up to me elbows anyway, but in the winter, I like long sleeves under my coat.  I do vote for something fairly close fitting, extra fabric can get in the way when you are trying to load magazines, etc.

On bottom: It's rare to find me in anything other than long pants, I wear then every day regaurdless of weather.  Livestock, briar filled pastures, and sun are unforgiving of exposed skin where they can reach it.  Also, lead dust, hot brass, etc are not things I want on my legs.  There are plenty of people out there who wear shorts to the range, if that's what makes you comfortable, go for it!

Shoes:  Ah the shoe debate.  Who doesn't love cute shoes?  Exposed toes are magnets for brass and dust at the range.  And, when you are first learning guns, heels are right out.  You want good balance, and the ability to walk the range to retrieve targets if you are shooting outdoors. There are many women who believe that you should shoot in what you wear everyday if your reason for having a gun is self defense.  Which makes perfect sense; and that's fine once you've been shooting a while.  But at the beginning, I vote for sticking to closed toed, comfortable, flat shoes.

Hair: It's critically important to keep your hair out of your face and away from your gun while shooting.  No one can aim with their hair in their eyes.  I'm a pony tail girl, but whether you do this through a short hair cut, a pony tail, head band, or some more intricate up do is your call.  A lot of women shooters recommend a ball cap or hat to keep lead dust and brass off of your hair.  I hate hats, but have been known to wear a visor if shooting outdoors in the sun to shade my eyes.

 Jewelry: As with hats, jewelry isn't my thing.  I wear my wedding ring and that's about it unless I'm getting dressed up.  My advice is to make sure that whatever you wear on your hands and arms isn't going to interfere with your comfort and ability to aim and shoot your gun.  Earrings should be able to be worn comfortably with your hearing protection of choice.  Try it out before you go it you aren't sure, or wear things that can be taken off and stashed in a pocket.

There are lots of great guides out there and opinions of other women shooters that will pop up with a quick Google search.  The most important things are safety and comfort, with style third.  I promise that most people at the range are looking more at their targets than you!

No comments:

Post a Comment